The Long Island Museum

The Long Island Museum

Situated on Route 25A in Stony Creek and also a brief distance from the still-running Grist Mill and the historical Three Town Inn, the Long Island Gallery uses site visitors an immersion into the area’s country past through three contemporary event buildings and 5 genuine structures stretched throughout a nine-acre campus.

Accredited by the American Alliance of Museums in 1978 due to its excellence in exhibitions, programs, and also collection treatment, and also among the country’s couple of Smithsonian affiliates, it displays American history and also art with a Long Island connection.

Tracing its beginnings to the Suffolk Gallery, whose original Christine Road structure stills stands today, it was developed to protect, exhibit, and analyze artefacts by five charter member at the end of the Great Anxiety: Ward Melville; his spouse, Dorothy Bigelow Melville; Robert Cushman Murphy, a noticeable biologist; Winfred Curtis, a neighborhood doctor; and O. C. Lemphert, an insurance coverage broker.

A growing collection, along with the enhancement of carriages in 1952, quickly motivated the search for new head offices, which materialized as the History Museum on one side of Route 25A. New to the then-named “Museums at Stony Brook,” it was old to the area.

The site was once the area of the D. T. Bayles Lumber Mill, whose lineage extends back to 1874 and also which operated until 1955. Melville acquired the structure during that time.

” Ward Melville constantly wanted Stony Brook to be a village comparable to the ones located in New England,” according to the Long Island Gallery’s internet site. “The Long Island Museum was influenced by this property and gallery grounds soon appeared like a New England village as regional historical structures were very carefully put onto the premises … Considering that 1939, the gallery has actually grown to become a leading establishment on Long Island and the only Smithsonian associate in the region.”


The History Museum, which functions as the Site visitor’s Center and also gift shop, is the location of transforming art events. Its newest “Fire as well as Kind: New Directions in Glass,” for instance, incorporated some fifty jobs by 8 modern musicians, whose range of strategies, motivations, and also beginning factors demonstrated the near-infinite nature of sculptural creation.

The separate Cowles Gallery, called after Sharon Cowles, who when lived alongside Dorothy and Ward Melville and lately made a substantial contribution to the museum, showcases jobs from its permanent collection.


Cornerstone of the Long Island Gallery complex, which lies across Route 25A, the 40,000-square-foot Dorothy and also Ward Melville Carriage Museum inhabits the website of the previous Stony Creek Hotel and depicts the pre-motorized transport period using greater than a hundred horse-drawn vehicles displayed in eight galleries.

Its centerpiece, which is visible as soon as the visitor gets in the structure, is the “Poise Darling,” a 45-passenger, wonderfully enhanced omnibus initially pulled by a half-dozen equines. Richly upholstered and spring-provisioned to lower wheel effect on unpaved tracks, it was used on adventures to Coastal Maine between the 1880s and the early-20th century.

The “Going Places” Gallery features carriages that were generally utilized on Long Island, in addition to a fiber optic map that illustrates the advancement of local transport paths.

The Wells Fargo Coach, among its displays, is representative of the cars made use of by Wells Fargo and also Company, whose transportation solutions were crucial to the country’s westward expansion. Inaugurating overland guest service in April of 1887, it assessed the then-astronomical price of $275.00 for the Sacramento, The Golden State, to Omaha, Nebraska, course.

The “Carriage Event” Gallery, based upon the 1893 World’s Fair transport structure, highlights the luxury wealth could infuse right into a carriage.

The “Making Carriages: From Home Town Store to Manufacturing facility” includes the museum’s collection of vehicles that were factory-built by the Studebaker Brothers, in addition to in the Graves Bro’s Carriage Shop, an original, 19th century, Williamsburg, Massachusetts facility that has been reconstructed here.

The “Streets of New York” Gallery, complete with simulated burning buildings, shows the kinds of carriages and also lorries that once layered its dynamic streets. One of them, an 1887 road cars and truck, allows the visitor to map the beginnings of mass transportation. Pulled by 1 or 2 steeds, it rode on rails, enabling New york city City to move its masses on steed cars and truck lines in between 1832 and also 1917. They were changed by mechanized street vehicles and also trolleys, before being taken over by steam-powered, elevated railways that ultimately paved the way to electric, below ground metros.

The Crawford Home Train, located in the “Driving for Sport and also Enjoyment” Gallery, was marketed to the New Hampshire hotel of the very same name in 1880, carrying as much as 20 travelers, their luggage, and products in between the railway terminal and also the hotel, and also layering narrow, winding roads as it did.

The “Long Island in the Carriage Age” is a recreation of an intermodal transport scene. An actual deport wagon when got travelers at the Stony Brook terminal of the Long Island Railroad and provided them to the bordering towns. The blowing sound of heavy steam engines finishes the re-creation.

Although horse-drawn carriages might not stimulate images of luxury, 2 other galleries eliminate this myth-the “Gentlemen Train Home” and the “European Vehicles” ones. The previous screens the extravagant vehicles that motivated the 19th-century Gold Coast carriage houses, which were when essential to Long Island’s North Shore estates, as well as the last showcases the royal cars that were used by European the aristocracy.


Aside from the Dorothy and Ward Melville Carriage Gallery, the initial frameworks on the rest of the Long Island Museum school, accessed by walkways, emanate a backwoods really feel.

The Samuel H. West Blacksmith Shop, among them, dates to 1834 and was originally found off of Main Road in nearby Setauket. Completely reconstructed in between 1875 as well as 1893, the building, of mortise as well as tenon circular sawn lumbers, was the heart of his multi-faceted, related professions, which included horse-shoeing, wheel and wheel vehicle making and fixing, and blacksmithing. However the look of the mechanized automobile during the 1920s soon anticipated its need.

Some three decades later, The Museums of Stony Creek got the framework, which currently shows period artefacts.

The 1794 Williamson Barn next to it was initially situated on the Stony Creek farm of Jedidiah Williamson, a Revolutionary War hero that made his living as a farmer, a millwright, as well as a woodworker.

The 1867 Smith Carriage Shed, alongside the barn, was initially located on the Timothy Smith ranch in St. James and also was made use of to safeguard carriages from inclement climate while attended services at the next-door St. James Episcopal Church. Its wrought iron rings acted as horse connections during this moment.

No 19th-century repair would certainly be total without the almost symbolic one-room schoolhouse, and the Long island Gallery campus does not stop working in hits regard. Designated Nassakeag, or South Setauket, Schoolhouse, it was built by Frederick A. Smith in 1877 on Sheep Pasture Road in its extremely namesake town on the website of a previous 1821-built structure that served the exact same function.

As a result of the area’s’ dramatically smaller population, it offered an entirely various academic concept than modern-day institutions do. It housed roughly thirty trainees who ranged from 5 to fifteen years of age and also who all occupied the exact same room. It was, as long as a tiny, single-room building could accomplish, sexually divided, boys going into the right door and women going into the left, and also each resting on their particular sides. Each entrance hall included layer, hat, jug, as well as cup hooks. Heat was given by a single stove and a solitary educator taught all qualities. Pupils used note pads made from paper, in addition to erasable slates. The educational program required the 3 “r’s”- that is, reviewing writing, and also ‘rithmetic.

The institution’s rural location determined its seasonal sessions, which included those in summer and also winter months, while spring as well as loss were booked for house life, where students were respectively required for the all-important growing and harvesting, along with the complete series of various other ranch features.

After the Setauket school districts were settled in 1910, the building came under disrepair, yet was obtained by The Galleries of Stony Creek and transferred to its campus 46 years later on.

Museum educators regularly provide courses in the schoolhouse.

In front of it is a fountain as well as horse trough. Donated to New York City in 1880 by philanthropist Olivia Egleston Phelps Stokes and originally standing at the junction of Madison Avenue and also 23rd Road, it is an instance of Beaux Arts rock and also marble job. The 20-ton framework supplied alcohol consumption water for both individuals as well as horses. However when it was rendered outdated by the vehicle, it was taken apart in 1957 and acquired by the Long Island Museum. Now situated next to an herb yard, it is fully functioning.

Various other university destinations include the Smith-Rudyard Cemetery, which stays on its initial site and also contains headstones from 1796 to 1865, and also a gallery building, whose two galleries include transforming events, showcasing American art as well as background.

Its latest one, “Tiffany Glass: Painting with Shade and Light,” was taken into consideration the initial of its kind at the Long Island Gallery.

” As a painter, Louis C. Tiffany was astounded by the interaction of light and color, as well as this fascination found its most amazing expression in his glass paints,” according to the gallery’s internet site. “Utilizing brand-new and innovative techniques and also material, Tiffany Studios created leaded-glass home windows as well as light shades in vibrant colors and also richly differed patterns, structures, and also opacities.”

The Long Island Museum uses a go back to country, 19th-century life and also motivates reflections on and re-interpretations of today one.

Aura Lane

Aura Lane

Aura's love for journaling and blogging has been years in the works. Once she moved to NYC it really took off. She loves to travel, eat vegan food, and drink coffee.